Top 3 Things To Do In Cotopaxi Colorado
Looking for the top things to do in Cotopaxi, Colorado? This small Colorado town is home to big adventures, mountain scenery, and western history. No traffic jams, smog or blaring horns help make a relaxing Colorado getaway. With plenty of camping and lodging nearby, visitors can enjoy the surroundings without spending the entire day in the car. It’s the perfect place for a family staycation in Colorado. Get out, embrace nature, and take home memories from Cotopaxi, Colorado.
Here are our top 3 things to do in Cotopaxi, Colorado!
1. Whitewater Rafting Cotopaxi
2. ATV/UTV Adventures
3. Take A Scenic Drive
Cotopaxi has so much to offer – sparkling rivers, sun-spangled cliffs, soaring raptors, cobalt blue skies, and enough purple mountain majesty to satisfy the biggest and smallest explorers. That’s why we have compiled a list of our favorite things to do in Cotopaxi, Colorado.
1. Whitewater Rafting Cotopaxi
Spend a half-day rafting the Arkansas River through Bighorn Sheep Canyon with Arkansas River Tours. This Colorado family rafting trip starts right below Salida and provides miles of wildlife including bighorn sheep & bald eagles, beautiful scenery, and excitement for everyone in the family. ART is an easy 1-hour drive from Colorado Springs and 2.5 hours from Denver. Once you arrive, we will share our most valued passion, Arkansas River rafting.
2. ATV/UTV Adventure!
Got a need for speed? Check out Texas Creek Recreation area. Take your ATV/UTV to this giant playground. There are nearly 50 miles of marked trails that range from easy 4×4 roads to more advanced ATV trails. If you are looking to camp, there are lots of BLM campsites available. If you are in need of an ATV/UTV, rentals are available near the entrance of the park.
3. Take a scenic drive
Take a scenic drive in some of the best scenery Colorado has to offer. Directions for our favorite scenic drive in Cotopaxi are listed below:
**Expect about 2-3 hours driving, with a little extra time for stops and pictures.
- From the general store, head North on Highway 12.
- This road traverses a beautiful colored Valley.
- At about 10 miles, the road turns into a well-maintained dirt road. Keep taking the dirt road.
- The road begins to climb, and you start to catch glimpses of the stunning Collegiate Peaks to the west. There are many pull-offs where you can get out and take pictures.
- Around 23 miles, you’ll turn left on County Road 2.
- In about eight miles, you’ll bear southwest on 175 and begin the descent to Salida.
- This section has one of the best views in the entire area about 2-3 miles in. You’ll be able to take in the entire valley.
- When you reach Salida, take Highway 50 back to Cotopaxi.
The Top 3 Things to do in Cotopaxi, Colorado
We hope you’ll enjoy one of our recommendations for things to do in Cotopaxi. For the perfect family whitewater rafting in Colorado, please book online or contact us for more information about our trips. Arkansas River Tours is your premier Colorado whitewater rafting outfitter. We can’t wait to see you on the river!