Colorado Rafting – COVID Operations
We have closely worked with Arkansas River Outfitters Association (AROA) and Colorado River
Outfitters Association (CROA) and created a subcommittee to develop best practices to safely
operate during the phased approach of reopening the economy after the stay-at-home orders
have been rescinded. We are confident in executing these new procedures to provide safe trips
for our guests and employees. Some of our preliminary protocols are highlighted here:
Phase 1 / Stay Safer at Home
- Employees will wear facial coverings in all situations where it does not cause an additional risk to one’s health.
- Daily symptom screening including temperature readings and questioning.
- Assign work stations that are 6’ apart for indoor employees.
- Frequent hand washing throughout the day. Access to hand sanitizer.
- Employees will be updated daily of any new protocols as conditions change.
- We will reassign cleaning and disinfecting duties to low-risk employees of serious effects
Guest Check-in Process
- We will provide a no contact check-in for guests.
- Signage at entry doors will display procedures to explain the movement of guests
through our facilities.
- Occupancy will be managed by staff.
- Additional check-in times will reduce the volume of people arriving at the same time.
- Guests will sent digital waivers prior to arrival to eliminate contact at check-in.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in the office, retail areas and in restrooms.
- All restrooms, touch screens, changing rooms, handles and high contact areas will be
cleaned and sanitized after each tour rotates through.
- Guests will be grouped into boats based on their reservation with a maximum of 7
guests to 1 guide.
- 2 or less households can be grouped into a raft if space allows
- Households are defined as a party traveling together and may or may not be related
- New offering of private rafts to give guests the option to reserve an entire raft
- Overall trip sizes will be reduced to maintain proper social distancing.
- We will use guidelines used the state of Colorado, Fremont County and Chaffee County
- Buses will be used up to 50% of capacity. Seating will be spaced for appropriate social distancing.
- 15 Passenger vans will be limited either one household plus staff or a max of 50% capacity
- Hand sanitizer will be offered upon entry to the vehicle.
- Loading will start at the back and move forward. Disembarking will be the opposite.
- Employees will wear face coverings and guests will be encouraged to do the same.
- Windows will remain open during transport.
- All surfaces including seats, windows and railings will be cleaned and disinfected after
- We will continue to follow existing food safety protocols for storing, packaging,
serving, and cleaning. All staff and guests will wash or sanitize their hands before
food is served. In addition, we will do the following for lunches:
- All employees will be required to wear masks and gloves.
- Guests will be seated, if using State Park tables, with proper social distancing in
mind. All tables will be sanitized before using them.
- No bulk food service will be used. No self-serve buffet meals.
- All lunches will be pre-packaged with individually wrapped items including but not
limited to chips, cookies, fruit, or snack items. Silverware will be individually
- All drinks will be in individual containers including water, pop, Gatorade, etc.
- All coolers, food containers, and trash containers will be washed and sanitized daily.
- Multi-day trip meals will follow the same guidelines with staff preparing, cooking, and plating dinners and breakfasts for guests. There will be no self-serving options.
- All rafting equipment will be cleaned and disinfected after every trip. This includes life
jackets, wetsuits, helmets, splash jackets, paddles and boats.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
- All cleaning and sanitizing will be done using procedures and products verified by the
CDC. Hand sanitizer will be available where hand washing may not be.
The above guidelines have been made on behalf of the Arkansas River Tours.